Why is this medicine prescribed?
Indapamide, a 'water pill,' is used to reduce the swelling and fluid retention caused by heart disease. It also is used to treat high blood pressure. It causes the kidneys to get rid of unneeded water and salt from the body into the urine.
This medicine is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Are there other uses for this medicine?
Indapamide also is used to treat swelling and fluid retention caused by various medical conditions other than heart disease. Talk to your doctor about the possible risks of using this medicine for your condition.
How should this medicine be used?
Indapamide comes as a tablet to take by mouth. It usually is taken once a day, in the morning. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take indapamide exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
Indapamide controls high blood pressure but does not cure it. Continue to take indapamide even if you feel well. Do not stop taking indapamide without talking to your doctor.
What special precautions should I follow?
Before taking indapamide,
- tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to indapamide, sulfa drugs, or any other drugs.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially other medications for high blood pressure, corticosteroids (e.g., prednisone), digoxin (Lanoxin), indomethacin (Indocin), lithium (Eskalith, Lithobid), probenecid (Benemid), and vitamins.
- tell your doctor if you have or have ever had heart rhythm problems, diabetes, gout, or kidney, liver, thyroid, or parathyroid disease.
- tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while taking this medicine. If you become pregnant while taking indapamide, call your doctor.
- you should know that this drug may make you drowsy. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
- if you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking indapamide.
- remember that alcohol can add to the drowsiness caused by this drug.
What special dietary instructions should I follow?
Follow your doctor's directions. They may include a daily exercise program and a low-sodium or low-salt diet, potassium supplements, and increased amounts of potassium-rich foods (e.g., bananas, prunes, raisins, and orange juice) in your diet.
What should I do if I forget to take a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
What should I do in case of overdose?
In case of overdose, call the poison control helpline at 1-800-222-1222. Information is also available online at https://www.poisonhelp.org/help . If the victim has collapsed, had a seizure, has trouble breathing, or can't be awakened, immediately call emergency services at 911.
What side effects can this medicine cause?
Frequent urination may last for up to 6 hours after a dose and should decrease after you take indapamide for a few weeks. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
- muscle cramps
- upset stomach
- stomach cramps
- decreased sexual ability
- blurred vision
If you have any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
- rapid, excessive weight loss
- severe skin rash with itching
- difficulty breathing or swallowing
If you experience a serious side effect, you or your doctor may send a report to the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program online ( http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch ) or by phone (1-800-332-1088).
What should I know about storage and disposal of this medication?
Keep this medicine in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom).
It is important to keep all medication out of sight and reach of children as many containers (such as weekly pill minders and those for eye drops, creams, patches, and inhalers) are not child-resistant and young children can open them easily. To protect young children from poisoning, always lock safety caps and immediately place the medication in a safe location – one that is up and away and out of their sight and reach. http://www.upandaway.org
Unneeded medications should be disposed of in special ways to ensure that pets, children, and other people cannot consume them. However, you should not flush this medication down the toilet. Instead, the best way to dispose of your medication is through a medicine take-back program. Talk to your pharmacist or contact your local garbage/recycling department to learn about take-back programs in your community. See the FDA's Safe Disposal of Medicines website ( http://goo.gl/c4Rm4p ) for more information if you do not have access to a take-back program.
What other information should I know?
Keep all appointments with your doctor and the laboratory. Your blood pressure should be checked regularly, and blood tests should be done occasionally.
Do not let anyone else take your medicine. Ask your pharmacist any questions you have about refilling your prescription.
It is important for you to keep a written list of all of the prescription and nonprescription (over-the-counter) medicines you are taking, as well as any products such as vitamins, minerals, or other dietary supplements. You should bring this list with you each time you visit a doctor or if you are admitted to a hospital. It is also important information to carry with you in case of emergencies.